How to clean your jacket on your own and do without washing
A jacket is not just a stylish part of a wardrobe; it is put on for work or service, a solemn event. But caring for a costume is harder than it sounds. Unlike a jacket, a jacket has a clear form, which is important to maintain. Therefore, regular dry cleaning or wet cleaning is recommended. But sooner or later, the product will need general cleaning. Strict suit jackets are best attributed to specialists. But you can gently wash them at home.
Men's suits are expensive, especially those that are custom-made. Therefore, they require careful treatment. The task is complicated by the fact that there are a lot of glued elements on the jacket, and the lining fabric is different from the main material. Do not panic. Look for the label first. The label should include information on washing and ironing. If there is no tag, then you have to focus on the type of fabric.
If you can not do without a washing machine, then observe several important rules:
- before washing, open all zippers on the product,
- instead of regular powder, buy gel or capsules for delicate things,
- put the jacket in the bag (mesh or denser - the more sensitive the fabric, the denser the protection is needed),
- set the temperature not higher than 40 degrees, otherwise the fabric will sit down,
- lower, or better yet, turn off the spin,
- discard the tumble dryer or the same function in the combination washing machine,
- squeeze on the grate, squeezing through a towel - without twisting,
- dry by straightening all the creases, laying the lapels and lapels correctly, if any, and placing them on your shoulders.
It is not necessary to wash things after each publication, because there are many ways to give them a neat appearance.
Features of cleaning jackets from different fabrics
For tailoring suits use different fabrics. Therefore, each product requires an individual approach:
- Natural skin cannot be cleaned with aggressive substances such as acetone. Remove contamination with water and liquid soap. To add shine, rub your jacket with petroleum jelly, which is sold at the pharmacy.
- Suede cannot be washed. Arm yourself with a brush and suede cleaner. And you can also clean it by holding it above the steam.
- Flax, cotton and synthetics are washed in an automatic machine, setting the delicate mode.
- Velvet and velvet are carefully brushed, as they deteriorate from washing.
- Atlas handles hand wash well.
- Denim is washed at a temperature not exceeding 40 degrees.
The steamer will help get rid of the smell of sweat, but look at the label before using it, as not all materials tolerate high temperatures well.
Cleaning individual items
On men's suits and school jackets, scuffs and spots on sleeves, collars and pockets often appear. To get rid of them at home, it is not necessary to wash the entire jacket, you can simply clean the dirt with a few tricks.
The tool is used in the case when you need to get rid of grease spots and shine. The method is suitable for suits made of polyester. Mix regular table vinegar with water in equal proportions and moisten a cloth in this mixture. Wipe the problem areas and hang your jacket to dry on the balcony. After airing, the unpleasant odor will disappear.
For dry cleaning the jacket, only a soft brush is suitable, which does not leave fibers on the fabric. But in order to get rid of stains on silk, wool and velveteen, you have to purchase a special set for dry cleaning. It includes:
- stain remover
- flavored sheets.
How to use it:
- Place the suit in the case along with the sheet.
- Load in the tumble dryer.
- Turn on the drying mode for 30 minutes by selecting the minimum temperature.
- When the process is over, take out your jacket and hang it on your shoulders.
Many housewives prefer to wash their jackets in the washing machine. But there are several nuances that should be considered:
- Take a gentle detergent.
- Do not use spin.
- Choose low temperatures.
Subject to all conditions, the suit will not deteriorate during washing.
If the costume is made of wool with impurities, then it is washed by hand. The same can be said about synthetics, cotton and satin.
- Before hand washing, clean your jacket with a brush dampened with ammonia.
- After that, soak the product in water at room temperature for several hours.
- For washing, use only liquid detergents. Do not rub the fabric, use a minimum of force, and never twist.
- Hang the jacket over your shoulders above the basin or lay it out on the grill.
If you can wash your jacket in an automatic machine, but you are afraid that the fabric will sit down, use a shower. Remove from the dust and hang the jacket on your shoulders above the bathtub. Spray to moisten clothes and apply detergent. Then rinse off the foam and let the water drain.
You can iron a man’s suit only through another fabric: a special mesh, thick gauze or flannel, using an ironing sleeve. If the material of the jacket is fleecy, then it is ironed in one direction.
It is difficult to imagine a basic wardrobe without a jacket, which tightly entered the life of not only fashionistas and women of fashion, but also teachers, managers and students. Military tunic is also a kind of jacket, and every day should be in perfect order. Therefore, it is so important to know how to care for a jacket and properly wash it at home.
About the nuances of washing and cleaning costume fabrics
For tailoring jackets used wool, cotton, linen, cashmere, suede. But often, this is a product made from fabrics of complex composition. In addition to the main one, about the same additives are used in tailoring the jacket (synthetics, viscose, lycra, etc.).
Additives are an important detail that does not allow clothes to lose shape ahead of time, stretch, crumple and undergo daily ironing. But for the same reason, washing jackets is extremely undesirable.
A fabric with a mixed composition after washing may lose its original appearance: stretch out, “sit down”, or both. A deformed thing will only have to be thrown away. Wash (following the rules of operation) is desirable only in those cases when the product is sewn from one type of fabric.
The most problematic areas are sleeves, collars, pockets and cuffs. Over time, the elbows begin to “shine” from friction on the surface of the table, the collar - to shine from contact with the skin of the neck. From daily wear, the jacket is gradually saturated with the smell of sweat. The product loses its original chic, and our task is to return it using high-quality cleaning on our own.
At home, cleaning a jacket is carried out in two stages: first, problematic (overgrown) zones, then the whole thing in order to refresh and “refresh” it. You can refuse the second stage if there is no special need for it. The most common methods of struggle for the “survivability” of a product:
- Cleaning with vinegar. To do this, prepare a mixture of vinegar and water, diluted in equal proportions. Using a soft sponge (cotton pad) dipped in solution, we process sleeves, collars, pockets. Contaminated "tools" are periodically replaced with fresh ones. Vinegar does a good job of oily shine on clothes and quickly disappears, removing the smell of sweat at the same time. Having hung the jacket on the shoulders, wait for drying and evaluate the result.
- Raw potatoes. The easiest and most troublesome way to clean your jacket collar. With a fresh potato slice, we wipe the problem areas well, then brush off the starch residues with a soft brush (sponge) and remove dirt with a damp, clean cloth.
- Salt is an excellent absorbent. It absorbs and draws into itself everything that it comes into contact with. Dry salt can remove the unpleasant odor of stubborn sweat, simply sprinkling it with “scalloped” places. The oily sheen on the elbows and collar is easily eliminated with saline. With a dampened and wrung out soft cloth, we simply process contaminated places.
- Ammonia. A spoonful of ammonia is mixed with 200 ml of water. Using a cotton pad moistened with a solution, gently wipe the area of contamination, and then remove excess moisture with a dry cloth. You can use a more concentrated product in a proportion of 1 part ammonia to 4 parts of water, spraying it from a spray bottle, while brushing lightly along the fabric. Then hang the jacket on a coat hanger and let it dry naturally.
- Soapy solution. You can use liquid or solid soap (preferably for children). Add it (3-4 teaspoons) to half a liter of warm water. In the resulting composition, we wet the clothes brush (better to use with natural bristles). We thoroughly clean greasy places, periodically washing the bristles from dirt. Most effectively, a soapy solution can remove dirt from the inside of the collar, while trying not to wet it through.
- Steam cleaning. If the house has a steam brush - that's fine. You can remove oily sheen and at the same time gently iron the delicate fabric with a steamer in a few minutes. An ideal option is to clean your jacket at home without dry cleaning, but with a similar result.
- Lemon juice. Lemon is used as a brightener for spots of various origins. If the jacket is damaged by spilled coffee or ink, just squeeze a few drops of lemon on the dirt. After a couple of minutes, it remains to get the affected area wet with cotton or sponge.
Putting your jacket in order is quite simple, and most importantly - the cleaning composition is easy to make with your own hands.
First of all, you need to familiarize yourself with the information on the clothing label. It indicates what water temperature is acceptable and whether it is possible to wash a jacket in a washing machine:
- circle with a square inside - machine cleaning is prohibited,
- crossed out basin of water - do not manually soak the product.
What to do if there is no tag? You can choose the appropriate option according to the type of material:
- woolen fabric tolerates brushing well,
- a wool jacket with the addition of other fabrics can be washed manually at a temperature of 40 degrees,
- linen, knitwear and cotton are delicately machine washable
- velveteen, velvet and suede are not recommended to be wetted, dirt is removed with a brush,
- the satin product is washed by hand,
- a school jacket made of leather is cleaned with a special cloth or brush,
- polyester can withstand both hand and machine wash at 30-40 degrees.
There is no need to clean the product after each sock. This procedure is carried out as necessary, when creases, pollution, greasy places appear. To eliminate the unpleasant odor, it is enough to refresh the item with steam.
Methods for washing a jacket
If you missed the moment when you could do with dry cleaning, you can wash the jacket, although this procedure is always risky. However, following some recommendations, you can get an excellent result.
The exception is leather and suede products, not originally intended for washing. Corduroy fabric must be washed by hand using cold water and shampoo. True, a noticeable effect will be only if the pollution is fresh.
Things made of linen, polyester, cotton do not require such a delicate attitude: they can be washed without much risk. Jackets made of woolen and semi-woolen fabrics are best given to specialists. But, if this is not possible, you can gently wash the woolen thing.
You can wash your jacket: on your hands, in a washing machine and using a damp shower cleaner. It all depends on the fabric of the product and the recommended care. In order not to spoil the thing, carefully study the label with the rules for use. On it, the manufacturer indicates the composition of the fabric, the method of washing and ironing (or warns against these manipulations).
To preserve the excellent appearance of the costume, do not wear it until shine appears. To do this, you can clean it with a dry brush after each sock.
But what if he got dirty? How to clean a men's jacket at home?
- Hang the suit so that you can inspect it well. For this you need bright daylight. If spots are found that cannot be independently removed, then it is necessary to take it to dry cleaning. But, with minor impurities, you can perform manual cleaning.
- Soft cashmere brushes are recommended for cashmere jackets.
- Spread on a table in a well-ventilated area on a sheet or towel.
- Take a brush, moisten in water (with the addition of vodka or vinegar), walk on the surface. If the collar is very greasy, it is recommended to use ammonia (30 ml of water 2 tbsp.).
- Wipe the surface in the direction of the pile.
- Hang on the shoulders to dry, as this procedure leads to moisturizing the tissue.
- Iron and walk on the jacket with a dry brush now against the pile.
- Heavily contaminated areas are removed by ironing through a piece of cotton cloth dipped in vinegar or ammonia.
Woolen clothes should be washed on hands in cool water. Washing powder is best replaced with a gel-like detergent for delicate fabrics. It evenly removes dirt and rinses easily.
Rinse the product using ordinary powder, will have 2 times longer. And such "capricious" things, the less subject to mechanical stress, the better.
You can not squeeze the fabric. We wait until the water drains by itself, after which we lay out the jacket on a flat surface to avoid its deformation and stretching.
Jackets made of cotton, linen, polyester should be washed as follows:
- We soak the thing in a warm soapy solution and wait until the majority of the impurities "departs" by itself: you can’t rub and shuffle costume fabrics fiercely. Actually, this is the whole washing of the jacket: just gently “dip” it in the washing solution.
- Rinse thoroughly, changing the water several times (insurance against white spots during drying).
- Let the water drain by spreading the jacket on the bottom of the bathtub or on an inverted basin.
- We place the product on a hanger, straighten, shake.
- We dry away from the battery and direct sunlight.
- Iron while the fabric is still wet. When ironing, be sure to use gauze or a white cloth.
The main rule when ironing: avoid direct contact of the iron with matter.
Why washing a jacket raises questions?
The jacket requires special care because of the features of tailoring. In order for the thing to keep its shape well, lapels, collar, sides, cuffs are additionally strengthened using glued hard parts. Under the influence of water, especially hot, the adhesive composition may become unusable, and the jacket will lose its shape. Usually, reinforcing elements are used when sewing strict men's jackets. Products designed for everyday wear, and women's jackets have a less complex cut.
Another feature of this wardrobe item is that it has a lining, which is usually sewn from thin fabric requiring delicate care. During washing, it can be damaged, creep at the seams or tear. In this case, you will either have to throw out the product or alter it.
How to wash a jacket
Many people wonder if it is possible to wash a jacket at all. After all, as a rule, such a thing is given to dry cleaning. The answer to this question depends on a number of factors:
- Care recommendations on the product itself,
- The type of fabric the costume is made of
- The presence of a lining, glued parts that must retain their shape, shoulders and other elements that may be deformed.
If you are interested in how to wash a men's suit at home, you can refer to the information on the internal label that contains each product. On the label you can find recommendations from the strict “dry clean only” or “do not wash”, “no washing”, to the less categorical “dry clean is recommended” or the completely loyal “machine wash up” to 30 ° C ”(machine wash at a temperature not higher than indicated) with some restrictions“ not umble dry ”(spin and drying are not allowed).
Such designations help determine how to wash a jacket at home in a washing machine if applicable, for example, for cotton, polyester or other synthetic fabric. However, as a rule, it is impossible to clean the dirt from the washing machine, or only the manual version is permissible, at a minimum temperature, without spinning. After washing, a man’s jacket must be hung on a coat hanger to allow water to glass. Lightly moisten the item with a gauze or cotton cloth or use a steamer.
Some housewives, despite the recommendations of the manufacturer, decide how to wash the jacket in the washing machine, guided by knowledge of the properties of the fabric. The whole difficulty in removing stains from a jacket by machine or manual method lies in the fact that the product consists of several fabrics: suit material, lining and inner layers, which shrink in different ways. So with the wrong type of cleaning, a men's jacket can lose its shape.
Depending on the fabric, choose a way to properly wash the thing:
- Cotton, linen and artificial fabrics can be washed in the machine, choosing the “delicate” or “hand” washing mode, or on hands, soaking the product with a stain remover, soap or shampoo, a solution of vinegar or ammonia, previously for a while so that the stubborn stains are washed away , the water temperature should be around 30-40 ° C,
- The satin jacket is allowed to be washed by hand, it is impossible to wash in the washing machine,
- It is permissible to brush velveteen, velvet or wool, to clean the thing from dirt in the machine is strictly prohibited,
- You can either rinse the wool mixture manually or brush it.
Put 👍 and subscribe to the channel, so as not to miss new publications!
Read more about washing.here.
How to wash a men's suit with a wet method? This option is suitable if not only the top, but the lining is dirty. In this case, dry cleaning will not be enough.
- Remove dust from the jacket by shaking it, and see where there are stains or dirt.
- Hang on a hanger and bring under a stream of water from the shower, slightly moistening it.
- Brush with a soft pile and liquid detergent to treat heavily soiled areas.
- Wash off the soap solution and leave the jacket hanging on the shoulders to make the glass water.
- Take the iron, where there is a function of "vertical steam" and iron the product.
- Allow time to dry completely.
This method is gentle and the most harmless. Using it all the details, such as a coat hanger, sides, collars are not deformed and do not fray. After drying, the jacket takes on a clean and fairly neat appearance.
What jackets can be washed in a washing machine and how to do it right?
When deciding on a machine washable jacket, you need to focus on the manufacturer's recommendations. If the label contains a crossed out image of a basin of water, it can be machine washed. However, it often happens that for some reason this information is lost, then the main criteria by which the possibility of washing is determined are the presence of adhesive parts and the material of the tunic.
It is possible to determine whether there are adhesive gasket elements inside by probing different parts of the product. If the material on the lapels and sides is more rigid and dense than in other parts, most likely duplicating elements were used to give stability. You cannot wash such a jacket manually or in a washing machine.
In the washing machine
If the hand wash does not cope with pollution, you can always use a washing machine, observing some important rules. All you need for this:
- read the care recommendations on the item label (as a rule, washing is allowed for products from linen, polyester, cotton),
- remove stains from the product beforehand,
- to button all the buttons
- choose a gel-like detergent,
- set the delicate washing mode,
- use the minimum temperature regime,
- do not use the drying and spin mode,
- add conditioner (the item after washing will not be too wrinkled and easier to iron).
It is better to entrust the washing of too expensive and stylish things to professionals. Even following all safety precautions can sometimes give unpredictable results.
Since a man’s suit should always look stylish, he should be looked after correctly and beautifully. The first two options are not always suitable, in some cases you have to turn to dry cleaning services.
This is a profitable method, since you don’t have to make an effort, buy special funds, waste time and nerves. All the necessary is selected by specialists. Processing of the product may be dry or wet (using detergents).
What fabrics are machine washable?
Machine washability directly depends on the material from which the product is sewn. Some fabrics can be washed not only by hand, but also in the machine, without fear of spoiling them, while others after such procedures can be deformed or sit down, and the jacket will only have to be thrown out. The choice of washing, spinning and drying modes depends on the material of the jacket.
Cotton, linen and polyester are practical, durable, unpretentious materials that easily tolerate not only hand, but also machine wash. If the item is sewn from pure wool, washing is not recommended - it is likely that the jacket will sit down and lose shape, but with a mixed composition (adding synthetics, linen, cotton, viscose) it is acceptable. It is impossible to wash not only in the automatic machine, but also manually with a leather or suede jacket, since these materials are afraid of water. Under its influence, they are deformed, crack and lose color.
The choice of detergent and mode
It is necessary to wash a jacket all dependences on material in the delicate mode. More intensive washing can damage the thin lining or cause it to creep along the seams. Water temperature depends on the type of fabric and the color of the jacket. When washing white or unpainted cotton or linen items, they are limited to 60 degrees in order to protect the material from premature wear and avoid shrinkage.
Colored cotton and linen fabrics can fade at high temperatures, so wash these jackets at 30–40 degrees. Polyester, like any other synthetics, does not like high-temperature effects - it causes deformation of polyester fibers and leads to premature wear of the fabric, therefore, regardless of the color of the product, the maximum temperature should be 40 degrees.
The use of bleaches with chlorine and other aggressive chemicals is extremely undesirable, but the fabric softener will be useful - it will give softness, reduce creasing and electrifying, help maintain color. If the jacket is part of the suit, it is washed with trousers.
Soap with water
To perform this procedure efficiently, it is recommended to use liquid or baby soap so that stains do not remain on clothing. Soap (if liquid 3 tbsp) diluted in 0.5 l of water, mix. Moisten the brush in the solution and walk over contaminated places. Rinse the brush periodically in clean water.
How to wash a men's suit in a washing machine?
There are models that can be washed in a washing machine without fear, risk. It is necessary to wash the suit only at low temperature, with a small number of revolutions on the spin function. If the fabric is wrinkled, then the "spin" should be turned off completely. For effective washing, a washing gel is added, since it quickly dissolves, evenly acts on the sections of the jacket, rinses well.
If powder is used, then it is recommended to additionally include repeated rinsing so that white stains do not appear. If it is recommended to add a softener jacket made of cotton, it will soften, in which case it will not wrinkle and ironing will be easier.
The product cleans well when using a hand wash. First, you should check on the back side the effect on the tissue of ammonia. If it does not deteriorate, then you can start cleaning. How it's done:
- use a soft brush dampened with ammonia to clean contaminated areas,
- soak the jacket in cold water, leave for 2 - 3 hours,
- use substances intended for delicate washing,
- perform the action not in hot water so that the product does not sit down,
- minimal effort (do not rub),
- hang on the shoulders so that water escapes,
- using a shower, rinse your jacket right on the hanger,
- do not wring, allow time to dry,
- straighten shoulders, lapels, giving the original shape,
- if it is necessary to iron, then only through flannel fabric.
After gaining knowledge on how to properly wash a jacket, you can choose the best option for yourself and feel free to get to work. It is important that the product hangs on its shoulders until it dries completely. In a well-washed suit, a man will look confident, beautiful. To keep it as dirty as possible, wear it carefully, but it will be good if there are several jackets in the wardrobe that can be changed from time to time. If you apply all these tips for caring for a jacket, you can extend the life of the product and save money.
This technique is perfect in cases where washing a jacket is not possible. This method involves several stages:
- First, inspect your jacket for stains, greasy, and other contaminants,
- ammonia copes well with greasy places. If there are any, then dilute the water with a small amount of alcohol and, wetting the brush in this solution, clean them,
- if there are clear spots, it is recommended to use store stain removers. Just read the instructions in advance in order to choose a tool for the desired type of fabric,
- if there is no brush at hand, you can use a regular rag. In this case, be careful - it may leave fibers on the surface of the jacket. This method is most suitable for cleaning jackets made of corduroy and wool,
- stains and other impurities will also be perfectly handled by vinegar previously diluted in water.
Century of high technology - washing a jacket in a washing machine
Before you throw this thing into the washing machine, carefully read the information on the tag. Get the most information: type of fabric, temperature for washing, drying conditions and others.
In addition, use a few more golden rules, which we will talk about now:
- Responsibly choose detergents. It is best to use liquid as a gel. They act more efficiently and are easier to wash out of the fabric.
- If you decide to wash your jacket in a washing machine using ordinary powder, then get ready for white stains on the product. Therefore, in this case, be sure to repeat the rinse.
- Choose a delicate wash mode with a minimum number of revolutions and do not use the spin cycle. At the end of the wash, hang the jacket on your coat hanger and let the water drain.
- If you are dealing with a suit, then you need to wash your jacket with trousers. This will keep the same look and color of both things.
- When washing, we recommend using fabric softener. It makes ironing easier and softens the fabric.
- After draining the water, treat the item with an iron, as in the previous case.
If you do everything right, then the question of whether it is possible to wash the jacket in the washing machine, you will no longer have.
Our hands are not for boredom, or hand washing a jacket
You can wash such a delicate thing with your hands. This is done by soaking. First, prepare a soap solution in which we will immerse our clothes. The powder must be dissolved in cold water. Soak the jacket in water for several hours and proceed to the wash itself.
Step-by-step instructions for washing your jacket with your hands - video
During this process, it is not recommended to resort to strong friction in order to avoid stretching and rubbing the fabric. Can I wash my jacket in hot water? No, not desirable. This can lead to tissue settling, and it will be very difficult to get into this thing after washing.
So, proceed to rinse. Rinse is until the water is clean and clear. After doing all the procedures, you do not need to wring the jacket. Just send it on your shoulders and wait for the water to drain.
You can immediately leave the thing to lie on the basin for about 30 minutes to remove all excess water, and then proceed to suspension. When all the water has drained, drying can begin. Do not forget that it is better to do this in a ventilated room, for example, on a balcony, to speed up the process. And remember that you do not need to completely dry the product.
Before you wash your suit, be sure to watch a video of common mistakes when cleaning your suits.
And now we suggest that you familiarize yourself with a brief information on how best to wash a men's jacket at home. It all depends on the fabric from which this jacket is sewn.
|Cotton, linen||Delicate machine|
|Wool mixture||Brush or hand wash|
|Polyester||Machine or hand wash|
We hope that the information provided above will help you in caring for your favorite thing. After all, now you know that a jacket can be washed at home without resorting to dry cleaning expenses. The main thing is to follow all the rules so as not to spoil the product, and you will succeed.
How to determine if a jacket is washable
To decide how to clean the suit from contamination, you need to determine whether the manufacturer is allowed to wash the jacket.
Information is on a label placed on the collar or lining of the product. Information may indicate the following:
- a circle inscribed in a square crossed out crosswise prohibits machine wash,
- a crossed-out basin eliminates hand washing.
The label may contain other symbols that indicate the temperature of the water, or regulate the drying and ironing methods, but these two icons are the main ones when choosing a cleaning method.
Tip: often the jacket does not need a full wash, minimal treatment of stains or creases is enough to make it look the same.
How to determine if there is no marking
If the label is lost or unreadable, the acceptable cleaning conditions can be determined by identifying the fabric.
|Wool mixture||Brush, hand wash|
|Velveteen||Hand or delicate machine wash|
Often jackets combine several types of fabric, for example, a model made of polyester contains satin inserts, foam shoulders and an adhesive base in lapels, which means that it is not always possible to determine exactly whether such a jacket can be washed in a typewriter.
Tip: if there is no absolute certainty in the composition of the fabric, then it is better to refrain from machine wash.
How to wash a suit
To process suits, you should use liquid or gel SMS, especially if you have to wash a black men's suit.
On such a fabric, white streaks that the powder leaves if the product was poorly rinsed are clearly visible, while liquid SMS is washed out of the fibers completely.
Attention! When washing suits, bleach is not recommended.
How to wash a suit
The process must begin with preliminary preparation, which consists in removing individual spots and existing salinity by the following methods:
- spots that appear on the cuffs, collar and elbows are removed with ammonia diluted with water,
- spots remaining from various types of clerical proofreading are removed with alcohol, acetone and solvent,
- stains of fat go away if you treat them with a dishwashing detergent,
- you can get rid of chewing gum after freezing it,
- stains from juices of different types are washed with shampoo,
- traces of tea and coffee can be removed with a mixture of glycerol and ammonia in a ratio of 1: 1,
- blood can be removed by treating the stain with cold water and laundry soap.
Important! Before applying this or that tool, it is necessary to test it on an invisible section of the jacket.
How to wash a jacket
If you decide to wash the jacket by hand, then at home you need to find a basin of a sufficiently large size so that the product fits freely there.
Pour warm water and act according to this algorithm:
- Add liquid SMS or laundry soap to the water.
- Soak the product in solution for about 1 hour.
- Wash by squeezing gently.
- If necessary, gently rub the fabric with a brush.
- Rinse thoroughly until clear water.
- Put in the bath so that the glass is excess water.
How to wash a jacket in a washing machine, is such a wash possible
If the label contains icons that allow automatic washing, then after removing the main stains and before loading the product into the drum, it is necessary to carry out a number of preparatory operations that allow you to wash the jacket so that it does not lose shape.
- check pockets and extract contents,
- fasten all the buttons
- turn inside out,
- fold in a special bag that will allow the jacket to stretch less.
When all preparations are completed, you can put the product in the drum. When loading several things at the same time, it is important that the fabrics are of the same type, of the same shades.
After loading things into the drum, you need to add a liquid detergent, fabric softener, set the temperature below 40 degrees and delicate mode without spinning.
Tip: Things extend better if the drum is only 1/3 full.
Wet shower cleaning
This is the most delicate wash of all. But with its help, both the outer side and the lining fabric of the product are well cleaned. Advantages of such a wash:
- contact with water is, but very short,
- mechanical impact is minimal.
As a result, things do not lose their shape and keep intact small glued parts (lapels, sides). The oily sheen removed in this way does not appear again soon.
Basic principles of washing with a shower:
- before washing, remove visible impurities and oily sheen,
- Using a cracker, we knock out dust from a thing,
- we place a hanger with a jacket over the bathroom, next to the shower hose,
- slightly moisten the product with warm water and apply a little washing gel on it,
- gently brush the jacket on both sides,
- wash off the detergent with a stream of water and let the water drain,
- dry the product and steam (iron), without waiting for the final drying.
Daily maintenance of the jacket with a simple brush for clothes soaked in water will extend the life of the jacket without washing and drastic cleaning measures.
Peculiarity of a corduroy jacket
There is no consensus on the possibility of automatic washing of velveteen. On the one hand, the velveteen structure is strong enough and flexible enough to survive machine wash.
On the other hand, the protruding villi can be deformed and then there will be obvious stripes on the product that are almost impossible to get rid of, plus, the velvet product may lose its original color.
Thus, you need to wash a corduroy jacket subject to a number of rules:
- You can clean it from dust, lint and small specks with a sticky roller or stationery tape.
- Severe contamination can be removed with a soapy solution applied with a sponge or brush.
- All brush movements must be directed along the strips.
- For hand washing, the fabric cannot be wrinkled or rubbed.
- When rinsing, to restore color, add a solution of vinegar to the water.
- Machine wash only in extreme cases in a delicate mode without spinning and adding conditioners.
Important! You can not automatically wash a velvet jacket, otherwise the villi will wrinkle in different directions and untidy stains form on the fabric.
Shower Wash Method
With frequent washing of the product, for example, a school jacket, which must be cleaned at home almost every week, care should be taken to preserve the fabric. A shower will allow you to clean the product with running water with minimal impact on the fabric, wash the jacket as follows:
- Hang on a coat hanger over the bathtub.
- Treat with ammonia especially contaminated places.
- Pour warm water from the shower.
- Process with liquid SMS using a brush.
- Rinse thoroughly with running water.
- Leave over bath until water drains completely.
Important! Before you leave the wet product to get rid of excess water, you should carefully straighten the lapels and shoulders.
How to squeeze a product and is it possible to dry it in a machine?
Such a delicate and sophisticated thing, like a jacket, cannot be squeezed in a washing machine at high speeds (more than 500). It is better to wash linen and cotton products without spinning, since these materials are easily wrinkled, and it will be difficult to smooth the jacket after such a procedure. Automatic drying (as well as drying near heat sources) of jackets made of any materials, especially woolen, is not recommended.
We erase pants
A men's business suit is often supplemented with trousers sewn from the same material as the upper part, but getting soiled more often.
To properly wash the pants, you should be guided by the same recommendations as when caring for the jacket, that is, carefully examine the label and choose the appropriate method of washing.
Before this, you must also process all particularly prominent spots, check pockets, buttons and fasten all zippers.
In a typewriter, pants are washed in the same way as a jacket, but the manual method has a number of features:
- Pants neatly laid out in the bath.
- Evenly wetted by shower.
- Using a brush, gently apply liquid SMS.
- The fabric is thoroughly rinsed.
- Pants are folded in the direction of the arrows and hung over the bathroom with a hanger for draining water,
- When the water drains completely, the product is transferred to a drier room, preferably on a balcony, but not in open sunlight.
Attention! Pants can not be wrung out and twisted.
Rules for hand washing a jacket
The fact that the product can be washed by hand is indicated by an icon depicting a container with water and a palm dipped into it (or without it) on the label. It may have a number indicating the permissible washing temperature.
Water is poured into the bath or basin, a soap solution is prepared and the product is placed in it. With severe contamination, it is left for soaking for 30 minutes. After they take a soft brush or sponge and carefully clean the surface. Rub and squeeze the fabric should not be. Then the jacket is rinsed several times in clean water. Squeezing a thing by hand, it is highly recommended not to twist and crumple the product heavily, it is better to just let the water drain by hanging it over the bathtub on its shoulders.
A long stay in water for a jacket that has glued parts is highly undesirable, but short-term contact with moisture will not damage it. To clean products with sealing elements and sewn from strongly creasing fabrics at home, you can use the shower using the following algorithm of actions:
- Pre knock out the jacket. This will help get rid of dust accumulated in the tissue.
- Hang the product on a coat hanger, turn on the shower and wet the item with warm water.
- Dilute a mild detergent in a separate container. Apply the solution to a sponge or brush with soft bristles and gently rub the cloth, paying particular attention to heavily soiled areas.
- Rinse the foam thoroughly with water from the shower, leave the jacket on the shoulders above the bathtub to allow glass of water.
The dry cleaning method is suitable for woolen products, as well as jackets and velvet jackets. In order to clean and clean the wool jacket from dirt, you must proceed as follows:
- You need to hang it on your shoulders under a bright light.
- Glossy areas of the product should be treated with a mixture of salt and ammonia (in a ratio of 4: 1 h / l).
- Grease stains with talcum powder, leave for a while and remove residue with a brush.
- To get rid of stains, you can use dry cleaning products.
Tip: the raw method of getting rid of scuffs is raw potatoes, stains are cut with a slice, and then the treated places are wiped with a damp cloth.
What to do if washing is prohibited?
The fact that washing is prohibited is indicated by the symbol on the product label in the form of a crossed-out water container. In this case, you can use the dry cleaning method, however, you can’t get rid of stains and heavy contaminants with your jacket. You can give the suit to dry cleaning or try to remove stains at home, using the tools available in every home.
Removing stains and heavy dirt
There are several ways to get rid of stubborn stains. To do this, you can use:
- ammonia solution (2 tablespoons of water per 1 tablespoon of ammonia),
- alcohol or vodka
- table vinegar with water (1: 1),
- means based on ammonia, alcohol (1 tsp each) and water (0.2 l),
- a mixture of ammonia and table salt (3: 1).
Ammonia and gasoline-based products are effective in difficult to remove impurities, but these liquids are quite aggressive and can ruin the material. It is preliminary recommended to check the resistance of the fabric to the selected composition by trying it in an inconspicuous place. You need to work with such tools in a well-ventilated area, it is better to wear protective gloves on your hands.
Before placing a jacket in a drum, empty its pockets. Heavily contaminated areas should be washed. Greasy sleeves can be treated with a mixture of ammonia and alcohol or a solution of ammonia.
You can wash the jacket in the washing machine according to the following scheme:
- They put it in the machine along with things whose fabric is similar in type and color scheme. For example, polyester and a half-woolen product are washed separately. And linen and cotton can be put together.
- To properly wash a men's jacket at home, it is better to give preference to gel-like products. The gel is rinsed well and does not leave white streaks. To facilitate ironing, you can add air conditioning. Pour the required amount of product into the powder compartment.
- Close the door, turn on the machine and select delicate or manual mode. It is important to make sure that the heating temperature does not exceed 40 degrees, and that the spin is off or the minimum speed is set.
Manual jacket cleaning
If machine wash is prohibited, you will have to get rid of the dirt yourself. You need to start by removing stains. To do this, you need a clean cloth or brush with soft bristles. The composition for stain reduction depends on their nature:
- the corrector is removed with a solvent or alcohol,
- so that the chewing gum adhering to the fabric easily falls behind, the thing is put for a while in the freezer,
- grease stains are greased with dishwashing detergent,
- the elbows, cuffs and collars are treated with ammonia diluted with water,
- juice of fruits or vegetables is susceptible to shampoo,
- spilled coffee or tea is moistened with ammonia.
In order not to spoil the fabric, it is better to test the product in an inconspicuous area before processing the stain. Special care is needed when working with velor, velvet, satin and wool.
- Soak the jacket in cool water with washing gel and leave for an hour. For delicate fabrics, this step can be skipped.
- Gently wash the product in soapy water not hotter than 40 degrees. If you put extra effort, the fibers of the fabric can stretch.
- Hang a jacket on the shoulders and wash off the foam with a shower. If this is not possible, rinse should be done in a bath with cool water.
- You do not need to squeeze the product so that it does not lose shape. Leave the jacket on a hanger or transfer it to the dryer to make glass water.
- If manual soaking is prohibited, you will have to clean your jacket at home without washing. The costume is refreshed with a damp cloth or a special brush. Leather items can be wiped with glycerin.
Drying after washing
During drying, lapels, cuffs and a collar should be straightened at the jacket. You can place the product in a well-ventilated room or in the open air in the shade so that the fabric does not burn out.
When the jacket becomes slightly wet, it needs to be ironed through a layer of cotton cloth or gauze or steamed in a suspended position. If smoothing is carried out in a completely dried state, it is imperative to use steam to restore the shape of the sown tissue.
In most cases, it is easy to wash a men's suit at home. Flax, cotton and polyester are the best cleaning products. Other types of fabrics require the most careful handling.
Wet cleaning of the product involves wetting the top layer of the product without deep penetration of water into the fabric fibers. This method of cleaning is good in order to clean a tunic equipped with shoulder straps and chevrons.
Cleaning takes place in this way:
- It is necessary to prepare a solution by adding one tsp of ammonia and ethyl alcohols to a glass of water.
- Put the jacket on the previously prepared fabric.
- To process solution with the help of a soft brush, abundantly moistening the cloth.
- Leave 10 minutes.
- Iron through cheesecloth.
- Hang on the shoulders in the fresh air.
A good option for wet cleaning is steaming, which can be done with steam from hot water in the bathroom in which the jacket is hung.
The process takes about 30 minutes, after which you need to transfer the thing to fresh air.
A modern alternative to this method will be a household steamer that deeply cleanses the fibers of the fabric and straightens them.
Tip: When the product is completely dry, you should walk along the pile with a dry brush.
How to dry and iron
When the bulk of the water drains from the jacket, it should be hung on the balcony, gently spread on the shoulders, dried in the open air, but without exposure to sunlight, otherwise the fabric may lose color.
Important! The fabric must not be overdried; the product should be ironed while it is still wet.
You need to iron a dried jacket through a fabric, this technology will help to avoid the appearance of glossy spots.
The ironing process must be carried out according to the following algorithm:
- To iron pockets from outside.
- Smooth the sleeves using a special board.
- To iron the back and shoulders from the inside.
- From the inside, iron the gates and lapels.
Tip: you can perform better and faster ironing with a steamer.
In order for your favorite costume to serve for many years and not lose its presentable appearance, it is necessary to observe several rules.
- It is necessary to hold a jacket on volume shoulders.
- Pants should be stored on a special clothes hanger-clothespin with neatly straightened arrows.
- The brush for cleaning the suit should be made of natural pile.
- Periodically air the suit.
- Observe the conditions for cleaning the product.